Are you looking for an air rifle that is designed for both target practice as well as small game hunting or for pest control? If so, then this review of the Benjamin 392 Bolt Action Variable Pump Air Rifle (.22) might just be the air gun you have been searching for.
First of all, if you didn’t know, the Benjamin Air Rifle Company is actually a part of the Crosman Corporation. For anyone who has been using air rifles for a period of time, you will know that they are known for making high-quality air rifles.
The Benjamin 392 air rifle should definitely not be considered a toy. It is intended for use by adults and should generally not be used by children unless they are a bit older where they are capable and confident with handling air guns.
Also, many shooters consider these rifles to be top quality high powered air rifles for hunting purposes.
The Benjamin 392 Bolt Action Variable Pump Air Rifle is a multi-pump air rifle. There is both a cylinder and a piston in the chamber. It is lightweight, compact, and recoilless, allowing you to have more control over your shooting when you use this air rifle.
The 392 variable pump is 22 caliber and it's a single shot rifle. The sights on the rifle are fully adjustable, it features a rifled brass barrel, plus the stock is made out of American hardwood which gives it a really stylish look. The rifle is intended to be used by shooters aged 16 and up, so it should not be considered a toy.
The ammunition you will use for this Benjamin 392 is .22 pellet ammunition. This gives the rifle plenty of knockdown power and good stability when shooting.
You should be able to shoot a small pest or animal in one clean shot with the rifle and put the animal down without much difficulty when you use this ammunition.
When using this rifle, you will get a maximum velocity of 685 FPS. It might lack in velocity when you compare it to other rifles but it has plenty of knockdown power. This makes it the ideal choice for pest control on a farm or other area where you have problems with small animals such as rats or squirrels.
The sight on this Benjamin rifle is an open sight. The rear sight is adjustable and the front sight is fixed. You have the ability to tweak your sight for wind, plus you can adjust your sight both to the left and right as well as the elevation.
One thing to note is that you don't have access to a scope rail for this rifle. Although might be thinking about adding a scope, it really isn't recommended because this will make loading the pellets much more difficult.
If you have decent vision, the iron sight of the rifle should be enough for you to land accurate shots. However, if you find that you do need a scope, a peep sight is recommended such as a Williams.
The rifle features a Monte Carlo stock, which has a low heel and a raised comb. The stock produces better accuracy and you will get less recoil.
You can expect your Benjamin 392 to be accurate up to around 40 yards. This means that the rifle is perfect for smaller game hunting, target shooting, or pest control. The rifle is not designed to be a long range rifle, so it is best to use it at close range for it to be effective when using it.
The 392 is a lightweight rifle. It weighs just 5.5 pounds so it is suitable for most individuals to use the rifle. It is perfect for both beginners and expert shooters who need a high-performance air rifle.
- .22 Caliber
- Multi-pump pneumatic
- Rifled brass barrel
- 685 FPS pellet velocity
- Single shot rifle
- Non-adjustable 2 stage trigger
- Fixed front sight
- A fully adjustable rear sight
- Weighs 5.5 lbs.
- Multi-Pump - Having a multi-pump air rifle is beneficial because this allows you to control the amount of power that you get out of the rifle. If you don't need as much power, you pump less. When you need more shooting power you give the rifle extra pump. A rifle that uses multi-pump is fast and it is easy to use.
- Accurate - When you are target shooting or hunting small game, you need an air rifle that is going to be accurate. This rifle will give you the accuracy you need to eliminate pests, hunt small game, and hit those targets with precision.
- Powerful - This rifle is powerful. It has the knockdown power you need to take out a small pest in one shot of the rifle. You won't have to make multiple shots to eliminate the pest that is giving you a problem.
- Little Maintenance - This rifle requires little maintenance. All you will need is a little bit of oil for your rifle to keep it in good condition.
- Low Cost - The Benjamin 392 will not cost you a lot of money. If you're looking for a rifle that is priced to meet your budget, this is the one to buy. You will save the money yet have a rifle that has the performance you were looking for in a high-quality air rifle.
- Pumping is Stiff - Some users of this air rifle experienced some stiff pumping action. Most air rifles do require a little bit of arm strength when you were using them. If you practice with this rifle you should be able to overcome the problem of the stiffness in the rifle. Take the time to learn the operation of the rifle and you shouldn't find much difficulty when pumping the rifle up to shoot it.
- No Scope Rail - This rifle does not come with a scope rail but you can eliminate this problem by installing on yourself if you prefer. The rifle really isn't designed it to be used with a scope because it is a shorter range rifle. It works best at shorter ranges for Pest Control or for shooting at targets. The fact that it has no scope rail really isn't much of a problem. Many users have installed their own scopes this rifle if they found that they needed one.
The Benjamin 392 comes with a manual that shows you exactly how to operate your rifle. We recommend you read your manual before you operate this air rifle to ensure safety.
It's recommended that you purchase safety goggles before you use this rifle. You want to protect your eyesight when using the rifle.
While an air rifle is not as noisy as a regular rifle, they can still produce loud sounds it's a good idea to buy proper hearing protection to ensure that your hearing is not damaged when using your Crosman Benjamin 392.
You will also have to purchase a good supply of .22 pellets that are designed to be used with air rifles.
Warranty and Support
When you purchase this product, you get unlimited one year warranty. This warranty comes from the manufacturer. The Benjamin Air Rifle Company is owned by the Crosman Corporation. If you have any questions or concerns about your air rifle you'll have to speak to the Crosman Corporation.
The Benjamin 392 air rifle is a solid and dependable rifle. Whether you want to shoot targets or you're looking to hunt some small game or do pest control, this rifle is going to give you the performance, accuracy, and shooting power you need for those tasks. You can buy this rifle for a reasonable price so it is suitable for most budgets.